I’ve been having a lot of fun with the baby drawbot. I will definitely make another of those in the future. As you can see from the images below, it’s able to do portraits on 8.5×11 paper.
But I’m ready to try a larger format. So I designed a wall mount drawbot. It’s made of hardboard and 1/4-20 rod. I wanted to use nylon bolts but I couldn’t find any long enough. Or I wasn’t sure what length I needed so I bought an aluminum threaded rod.
As you can see in the video, it’s easy to slice it down using a rotary cutter.
I will make this system so it can also mount on a board to make it more agile.
I’m also changing the gondola to have a “quick pen changer”.
Baby drawbot just completed it’s first real images.
I’m still working at the software side but at least I’m able to produce something aside from random scribble now.
The machine is running quite nicely even with the make-shift gondola I made from hardboard. I find that it works better with one of those fancy ball pens that have low friction. The marker type have enough friction to cause a bit of backlash. As you can see the darker drawing is more granular, that’s because of the backlash.
My next gondola will not have this problem as I think I know how to solve that.
If anybody wants this machine for practicing, let me know.
I used Sandy Noble’s software for this run. He has an awesome way of processing the image based on a dual polar system which matches with the actual degrees of freedom of the machine.
I will work more with his method and will try some other methods.
Last nights modlab was a blast (ModLab is the open house of ArtEngine the Ottawa HackSpace).
A newcomer made his first solder connection!
Lots of microprocessor and Arduino activity. An LED game of life. A controller for an autonomous quadracopter (in progress), a musical hat and much more.
Also the new laser was sitting around. This will have a lot of positive impact on the space I’m sure. Currently a solution for air cleaning is being looked at.
I had my drawbots running. I found that it runs nicely on 9v or 6v for motor power. You get .7A and .5A respectively. Quieter on 6v. Also we ran the same drawing more than once and observed some reasonable repeatability.
We actually made a happy face with the drawbot. Mike cooked up a happy face and transferred the data into the drawbot.
I attended a brief aftersocial at a Scottish pub but kept it very short and light since I was pretty bushed.
const int intDebug = 0;
// limit switch
//const int switchHome = 7; // home switch
const int ledHome = 13; // home LED
const int motorAStep = 2;
const int motorADir = 3;
const int motorBStep = 4;
const int motorBDir = 5;
int switchHomeState = 0;
int homeA = 0;
int homeB = 0;
int switchHomeRequest = 0; //if set, we do the home operation
int y; //counter
int XPixels = 17; //pixel count (zero based)
int YPixels = 13; //
int XStepsPerPixel = 500;
int YStepsPerPixel = 500; // steps per pixel
int XVector; //direction of X axis alternates
I did the wiring, glued the spools onto the motors using a glue gun (loctite didn’t work) and made a pen holder.
Even before running it with the pen I let it run for about 4 hours to see if everything was okay. I noticed right away that the motors were getting pretty warm at 13.5V. So I ripped the 9V off my cordless phone. Seems to run nice and quiet with that. After 4 hours, no overheating.
I added the pen holder and a ball point so it wouldn’t mark everything up.
It turns out the ballpoint works great. Obviously that’s an anomaly.
I’ve had it going with the pen for about an hour now. No missed steps.