So I’m finally settled after the NYC trip. The trip was a great success despite having it cut short and missing a chance to do some shopping and take advantage of the 48h+ trip.
I got to show off the project to thousands of people, met piles of new people and also lots of my old friends.
For any of you that are considering World Maker Faire, I’d say just go. You don’t have to have your project ready. If you go you’ll have just as much fun because when you’re presenting you’re a bit tethered to your display so it’s another cool angle.
Yesterday I made up some Squirrel kits with interlocking parts.
I bagged up some prototypes so I could bring them along with my meetings for the day.
I was able to find a taker to make one of the prototypes at Buster’s Pub where I had one of my meetings booked.
The build took place during my meeting and I kept an eye on it to see what I could learn.
Ian was able to get a plan running fairly quickly.
The Squirrel design is usually built right on the tissue (BOT — Build on Tissue). This method is only shared by one other model plane design (AMA Cub) which is the major competitor of the Squirrel.
With the interlocking parts the BOT technique may not be the right choice. When you put the parts down for the wing, they stick to the tissue using glue stick. You can’t easily reposition them to make sure the interlocking parts mesh.
Ian mentioned that he didn’t like using the glue stick. He prefers to use the craft glue for the whole process.
I was just out doing volunteer work this evening (and running around with lots of kids with model planes).
I started to deploy the new Squirrel totes I made as practice on my CNC mill.
I cut them out with a 1/16th end mill. It’s a carbide, 2 flute. Seem okay for cardboard.
I’m now needing more cardboard to make some more. Today I bought some coroplast to see if that’s overkill. Probably a bit expensive for this application but it will be interesting to see if the mill will cut it nicely.